Apparatus owned by the Northern Illinois Fire Museum
Ahrens Fox Pumper
Model FM 2, 6 cylinder, 3 speed, right hand drive,
Capacity: 100 gallons of Water, 750 GPM pump
Original owner: St. Paul, Minnesota
Purchased from Midway Village, Rockford, IL 2004
Ed Thorn, who owned a hardware store on the west side of
Rockford, IL, purchased this truck from the St. Paul
Fire Department in the 1960's when it was declared
surplus. After Ed died the truck was donated to
the Midway Village Museum in Rockford. The Fox
resided in a barn for the next 25 years, never on
display. The museum decided to sell the truck as
it did not fit the time frame of their organization.
NIFM purchased the Fox in 1999 and it is the official
|1890 Pirsch Ladder
Original Owner: Huntley, Illinois
This was pulled by hand or by a light team of horses.
This vehicle carried ladders, pike poles, rope, buckets
and lanterns. It was restored by Chuck Ruth of
Woodstock, Illinois and
donated to the Museum in 2002.
Remington circular pump, no tank. GPM unknown.
Mfg: New York state
Horse drawn. Horses walked in a circle to create
the pumping action while at the scene. Donated to
NIFM by Harvard FPD.
Hunneman Mfg: Boston Mass. 40 gal tank.
Original Owner: Freeport,
Illinois, later traded to Harvard Illinois.
This is a horse/hand
drawn vehicle that is hand pumped. The side rails
are moved from the framework to the ends of the pumper.
Using a team of volunteers, the "arms" are moved up and
down to pump the water. Donated to NIFM by
Chemical Cart Boyer pump. Tank capacity & GPM
Original and only owner: Shabbona, Illinois
This can be a horse or
hand drawn vehicle. Chemicals were added at the
fire scene, one type to each tank. There are
original bottles of chemicals in the storage cabinet at
the front of the unit.
Seagrave open cab Pumper, V12 dual ignition, 5
speed, 500 gal tank, 750 GPM pump.
Original owner: Mundelein, IL
This originally was in service at Mundelien Illinois
until 1989. It sat outside in the
yard of its next owner, a Father Cull, for several years
and then was purchased by Al Mini who had it restored
and repainted by Jim and Kevin Carew, Museum members.
Mr. Mini donated it to the Museum in 2001.
American LaFrance Pumper (Dave Gitchell truck), V-12
dual ignition, 4 speed, 750 gal tank, 1250 GPM pump.
Has original ALF bell.
Original owner: Goodman, Missouri (see plaque above
This was originally in service in Missouri and later
was purchased by the late David Gitchell, who was a
founding member of the Museum. It was donated to
the Museum after his death by his widow, Judy Gitchell.
White Chevy 6400 Pumper, 6 cylinder, 3 speed Central
body, 250 gal tank, 500 GPM Waterous pump, St, Louis, MO
This vehicle came from
a South Illinois airport.
Unit engine and
transmission have undergone repairs and updates in 2004
and 2005. Vehicle is solid, just needs a few
things to make it complete. Originally green in
color, now white. Federal siren and light, 15"
running board mounted searchlight. Motorola Twin V
radio w/remote head, mic & speaker.
GMC Pumper, 6 cylinder, 3 speed, 250 gal tank, Peter
Pirsch Body, 500 GPM Hale pump.
This vehicle came from Shabbona Illinois
Unit was purchased new by
the Shabbona Fire Department. It has been in their
department continuously since then. Has tank and
pump, working lights and siren. Donation to
NIFM was made possible by the efforts of retired
Marengo fire chief Ross Kitchen
American LaFrance 85' Aerial Truck, 6 cylinder,
dual ignition, 4 speed, 750 gal tank, 1500 GPM pump.
This vehicle was originally
delivered to Sterling Illinois
Unit was in service until
this vehicle spring of 2005.
International KB-8 Pumper, 6 cyl, 5 speed, dual speed
rear end, 250 gal tank, Central body, 500 GPM Waterous
pump - St. Louis, Mo
Original owner: Round Lake, IL
This vehicle was originally
delivered to Round Lake Fire Department. It was
then purchased and restored by Skokie Valley Asphalt (which was
acquired by Curran Contracting). The vehicle was
originally painted white.
1963 Seagrave V-12 w/dual ignition, 5 speed, 750 gal
tank, 1000 GPM pump.
Original owner: Waukegan, IL
Vehicle served the city
of Waukegan until the 1980's. Donated by a Chicago
group of firefighters to NIFM. The
vehicle was originally an open cab. The conversion
roof was built in the Waukegan FD shops in the late 1970's.
They modified a total of 4 Seagrave vehicles with the
same type of fiberglass roof. This will probably
remain a parts vehicle.
Model AA Ford Parade vehicle, 4 cylinder, 3 speed, 250
GPM ALF Foamite chemical pump.
School bell on front
Donated to NIFM by
L-9000, 750 GPM Pumper, Detroit Diesel
Water tank will be
removed and used in the museum as a training/teaching
device. Future trailer tow vehicle.
F6, Automatic Transmission, Flathead V-8, 500 GPM pump,
250 gal tank, Vehicle has 12,500 miles on it
Purchased new by the City of
Wood Dale, IL. Donated to NIFM by the Wood Dale
Firemen's Association, May 2007.
1953 GMC Pumper
Vehicle has less than 10,000 total
Decommissioned in the early 1980's
from Jo Daviess County. Owned by former Speaker of
the U.S. House of Representatives, Denny Hastert,
and used for parades by him. Purchased by Jim
Oberweis and also used by him for parades. Vehicle
was repainted 15 years ago. Pumping mechanism is
original, siren and red lights fully operational.
New muffler and brakes installed.
Further information about this
vehicle will follow soon.